Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there.

Well readers, you can now consider me an honorary Londoner being that I've been here for almost three weeks. In my last post I said that I would be starting classes last week. I lied. The term for the university started last week, but the classes in the school of arts and humanities did not start until September 30th. So I had a lot more free time then I initially expected! Although throughout the week, I had a few departmental welcome meetings. Most students here only take modules (classes) in one department. Being that I have gen-ed requirements to fill back home, I was not able to focus all of my studies in one department. So I am in four different departments, which tends to be the case for most of the study abroad students from the U.S. that are here. I look at it as a way to meet more people and the opportunity for more adventures! 

So with all of my new found free time, I decided to explore around my campus. On my way , I discovered that I probably get one of the best views on my daily commute. I take the bus that goes over the Waterloo Bridge, and if I just look to the left, I have a beautiful view of the Thames, the London Eye, and Parliament. It's a great way to start my day! I discovered that Trafalgar Square is just a ten minute walk from campus. I have very fond memories of Trafalgar Square, or as my little brother calls it, 'the pigeon place'. When we were kids my parents took us there and my brothers and I proceeded to chase all of the pigeons around until they would fly away. It was so nice to go back and see that some things never change. There were still pigeons, and there were still kids chasing them away. There is an excellent photo spot on the steps of the square where you can get a long distance shot of Parliament. I had a near perfect photo! Readers, meet the unintentional photo-bombing tourist! 
Hi! How are ya?

One of things I love most about London is that it is still insanely busy, but there's space. I mean I love New York, but it's nice to walk out my door and not have a fear of huge crowds sweeping me away. One could say that there's more room for activities! Anyway, after I had had my fill of the square, I wandered up to the west end and through Leicester square... my day was filled with squares (the good kind)! Being the theatre lover that I am, I couldn't resist all of the discount theatre booths scattered throughout the west end. I ended up seeing Wicked. I had never seen it, so I figured this was probably the best place to see it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself! I know it's not the kind of show that makes you contemplate the meaning of life, but you know, that's not the only kind of art there is. I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to see this show! For my theatre readers, don't worry, I fully intend on seeing much more theatre during my stay! 


The next couple of days I spent in preparation for class (the thing I'm actually here for). One of the great things about the school system over here is that you don't have to buy books! Most of the material is on the student website, or it's very readily available in the library. I have loved not having the hassle of trying to find the right book, and getting it ordered on time! During the week I planned my Paris getaway. That's right folks, in November I'm going to Paris for three days! I am beyond excited! It's been challenging trying to fit in everything that I want to do while I'm there, but I'm sure I'll manage. I couldn't have made this trip happen without the help from my awesome parents. I just want to say a HUGE thank you to them, because they have given me the opportunity of a lifetime and I want them to know how grateful I am! 

Alright enough of the mushy-gushy stuff! I have finally started classes this week and they seem to be just fine. I really like the structure of having lecture once a week. It gives me time to actually do all of the work for the course, instead of cramming it all into one night. My favourite class by far is film studies! (I know, you're all shocked). Our first screening was looking at the costumes of the film, interpreting them and looking at their historical accuracy. I think I'll be alright this week!  

That's it for now dear readers! 
Cheers,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment