Monday, October 28, 2013

What About Second Breakfast?

Well readers, it's been a long time since I've updated you about my travels. Sadly I don't have much to report, now that classes are in full swing. I am enjoying my classes as much as possible. It's very strange to not have any theatre courses and not be in a costume shop! However, it is nice to have the feeling of a 'real' college experience. I have this really quirky Austrian professor for my philosophy class. Imagine Christoph Waltz's character from Inglorious Basterds (if you haven't seen this movie, do!), take away the fact that he's a Nazi, add some pep, and you get my professor. He is definitely more entertaining than the subject matter. All in all, classes are fine. Nothing special, but it was a great excuse to get me out here!

Since my last post, I have only seen one more production and that was the new musical Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was visually stunning! The costumes and the set were fantastic! The script was predictable, but it's hard not to be when you're telling such an iconic story. Douglas Hodge, the tony winner for La Cage aux Folles, was Willy Wonka and he was delightful! Probably the strongest part of the show. I had seen him in La Cage, and went in with high expectations, and they were surpassed! One of the best parts of the night was getting bumped down to the first balcony. I bought a ticket in the nosebleeds with a restricted view, but when I got to the theatre they upper balcony was closed. So I got a great seat for a great price! I have every intention of seeing more theatre, but for the meantime, I am saving up and laying low before my Paris trip! I am leaving for Paris in a week!! I am beyond excited! So this week is dedicated to finalizing my itinerary to make the most of the few days that I have there.

One of the most common questions people ask me, other than what time it is, is if I'm making friends. I am most definitely making friends! However, this is the first time I have been completely on my own and I want to use this time to get to know myself better. When I'm back at school, it's so hard to find time for yourself between classes, work, and production work. I want to use this time to grow up and really discover who I am, without the pressure of all of the deadlines of a busy life. It's a time for me to slow down, reflect, and re-evaluate my life by having completely new experiences.

I will have much more to update you on after I get back from Paris! For the mean time, here's a picture of the Tower of London....


Cheers!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment